A very fine pair of English sterling silver candlesticks, made by George Cowles,
Son of George Cowles of the City of Gloucester carman, apprenticed to Samuel Courtauld 6 September 1751 on payment of £10 and turned over on former's death to Louisa Perina Courtauld. Free 8 May 1765. Livery 1781. First mark as plateworker, in partnership with Louisa Courtauld, probably included in missing register c. 1768. Heal has however self-contradictory records of Cowles as late partner with Mrs Courtauld, as goldsmith, in Swithin's Lane, 1766; followed by addreses for him alone at 26 Cornhill, 1770-93; 30 Cornhill, 1780-90; while at the same time having found the partnership at 21 Cornhill from 1768-77. They appear together as goldsmiths in the Parl. Report list, 1773, when Cowles gave evidence to the committee. Even allowing for the fairly high probability of misprints in old directories is seems likely that there were two or three shops in operation at the same time. It is clear, however, that the partnership finished when Louisa entered another mark in partnership with Samuel II, 16 October 1777, and Cowles his second mark, alone as a plateworker, 30 October 1777. Address: 5 George Yard, Lombard Street. He moved to No - Cornhill, 17 January 1778. Died 1811.