A very fine pair of late Louis XVI gilt bronze and white marble three-light candelabra, each with an ovoid marble vase with waisted neck issuing realistically cast floral sprays of lilies and roses with circular nozzles issuing from lily heads, each vase flanked by ram's head masks with spirally twisted scrolling horns, above a tripod support terminating in cloven feet on a concave-sided triangular base and circular stepped marble plinth with beaded edges
Paris, date circa 1790-95
Height 82 cm. each.
Candelabra with distinctive lily-spray branches first appeared in engraved patterns during the late 1760's. Examples include those embellishing a vase designed by Jean-François Forty and engraved by Colinet and Fois in "Les Oeuvres de Sculpteur en Bronze Contenant Girandoles, Flambeaux etc" circa 1768. Subsequently adopted by almost all the major ciseleur-doreurs during the late eighteenth century, such sprays were particularly favoured by François Rémond (b. circa 1747, d. 1812).